Sunday, July 11, 2010

Oops.

Oh. Hi. Remember this blog? I mostly forgot about it. This morning a friend reminded me and I wondered to myself, "When was the last time I updated that? And I wonder when the end date was for the 1001 days?"

Well the answers to those questions are "well over a year ago" and "in 9 days," respectively. So I reiterate my title to this entry... oops.

I do this sometimes. Don't we all? Start projects with the best of intentions and then after a few days/weeks/months when the new wears off they fall by the wayside. They sit in a pile - or in this case an imaginary corner of the internet - collecting dust and consciously or unconsciously or maybe with a mixture of both we ignore them.

I hate that this happened with this blog, because I still think it is a cool idea, and ya'll know how I love a good list. But the time has passed and I think it is time to give this thing a proper send-off. So without further ado, my list as it stands now, 992 days from when I started it, complete with itemized explanations for things that didn't quite get done.

HEALTH
1. Lose 50 pounds - Let's not even talk about this one, okay? I lost some pounds. A handful. Moving on.
2. Eat breakfast every day for 2 weeks - Instant oatmeal, my constant friend.
3. Use elliptical once a week for 6 weeks - We have an elliptical? How about we remember that last summer I dutifully attended twice-a-week water cardio classes and call it a draw?
4. Take lunch to work every day for 1 week
5. Give up french fries for 1 month
6. Give up icecream for 1 month
7. Eat salad once a week for 2 months
8. Ride bike once a week for 1 month - This sounds so easy, and yet...
9. Jog one mile without stopping - Har har.
10. Fix my feet - Magic heel cream definitely doing the trick.
11. Go to bed by midnight every night for 2 weeks - I'm calling this one done. We've been pretty good about bedtimes.

PERSONAL
1. Get pregnant - There's still nine days left, right? Right, Ben? Hello? *crickets*
2. Blog in my blogs
3. Call my sister once a month - Still wish I did this more, but we've gotten good at texting.
4. Get a tattoo - I still want one. Ben still disapproves.
5. Research for and vote in 2008 election
6. Take a class in graphic design - Nope.
7. Get a really awesome haircut
8. Donate hair to Locks of Love again - Did this when I got my pixie cut last year!
9. Finish reviewing entrepreneur textbook - What?
10. Learn to change my tire - How hard can it be, really?
11. Plant a tree - We planted TWO trees, thank you very much! Take that, list!
12. Send a postcard to Post Secret - I don't really have any juicy secrets but I still might do this.
13. Relearn some piano pieces I love
14. Do something with wedding dress - Does "keep it hanging in the back of my closet for five years" count as "something?"
15. Confront work about maternity policy

TRAVEL
1. Go to Disneyworld - Didn't make it, but I would like to amend this anyway to say screw Disneyworld, I want to go to Harry Potter World.
2. Stay in Gatlinburg-esque cabin - Yes! Ben and I took a great little trip to Asheville!
3. Visit Kansas relatives
4. Visit Rob in Washington D.C. - Didn't make it to D.C., but we did visit him, sort of, when we went to his wedding in Tucson!
5. Travel outside the continental U.S.
6. Go to the beach
7. Go camping - We went on a white-water rafting trip where we had to sleep in a lodge the night before. In sleeping bags on the floor. No A/C, no showers... I'm calling it camping.
8. Visit a U.S. city I've never visited
9. Go to an IKEA store - Yes! In Atlanta! Magical!
10. Take a scenic drive - Ben and I drove over 1,000 miles across New Zealand. It was seriously scenic.

CRAFT
1. Begin scrapping/crafting business
2. Scrapbook this list - Obviously I thought this would be way more important than it was.
3. Get prints from wedding made - No. We've only been married for five years. Plenty of time.
4. Print pics once a month - Well, see, the photo guy at Sams turned a little stalkery on me, sooo...
5. Organize photos - I did this! Go me!
6. Make "J" project - The fact that I had to think for five minutes about what the heck this even meant should tell you all you need to know about whether or not I did it.
7. Reupholster brown chair - I bought fabric! Baby steps.
8. Bake an awesome red velvet cake
9. Research purchasing a photo printer - We didn't.
10. Finish recipe book for Amanda - Sorry Amanda.
11. Bake a cheesecake - Why did I want to do this? The challenge, I guess. I hate cheesecake, though.
12. Cook a turkey! - I cooked a tiny turkey for a party at GMA. Done!
13. Make bread from scratch - Yes, back when the Bread Machine was in our lives. RIP, Bread Machine.
14. Build up scrapping portfolio - Sort of. I did some good scrapping, I think that counts.
15. Research purchasing a laptop - Ben has his fancy work one, but I still want one of my own.
16. Send pages to scrapping magazine - Not yet, but this is still something I actually want to do.

HOUSEHOLD
1. Finish bookshelves
2. Get backyard fenced - No, but I don't think we're going to anymore.
3. Take stuff to dry cleaners - Let me put it this way. The stuff I needed to get dry-cleaned no longer fits me. That's how long it has been. And will continue to be.
4. Learn more about gardening - I bought a book! I learned that I am not very good at it and I need to hire professional help.
5. Paint upstairs bathroom - Did it!
6. Paint craft room - Not going to do it!
7. Put stuff on the walls - I put SOME stuff on the walls. I feel that I was prophetically vague when I put this item on the list. So... done?
8. Refinish/seal porch bench - Ugh, I still actually need to do this.
9. Get new light fixture for kitchen
10. Plant and grow at least one vegetable or herb - We are growing a blackberry bush. It produced five edible berries this year! See item #4 above.
11. Organize kitchen cabinets - I did this!
12. Clean other half of garage - No. Wait, there was a time when half the garage was clean? I don't remember this.
13. Organize/clean my office at work - Good news! I don't work there anymore! So I did clean it... out.
14. Organize my shoes
15. Get rid of VHS tapes
16. Get a new microwave - Still the same annoyingly small one I've had since college.
17. Wash car more often
18. Get bumper fixed - Nah, it's hanging in there. Literally.
19. Have carpets cleaned - I cleaned them myself, but they still need professional attention.
20. Tile the bathrooms - I'm too intimidated to do this without help. As evidenced by the fact that it is still on this list.
21. Go through all clothes for sale/give-away
22. Keep bedroom clean for 30 consecutive days - If you count the two weeks we were out of the country, I think that yes, we did this!

CULTURE/ARTS/WRITING
1. Read 101 books - I probably got pretty close. Counting childrens books, right? I do work in the kids section of a bookstore. They should count.
2. See 101 movies - Ditto the books, I bet we got close here.
3. Send Stephen King my thesis - Is there a not weird way to go about doing this? Googling his home address seems creepy.
4. Start Lent/Advent devotionals at church - I wrote some Advent blogs, actually. Maybe at the new church?
5. Go to concert at the Ryman
6. Get library card and go to library
7. Visit the Schermerhorn
8. Visit the Frist - Why haven't I been here yet?!?!
9. See a local play or musical - Ben took me to a high-school production of the same play we directed in high school. Ours was better. :)
10. Go to farmers market

FAITH
1. Read the Bible - I'm trying. I should try harder.
2. Pray every day - I'm trying. I should try harder.
3. Consider sponsoring a Compassion child - This is something I want to do in the future.
4. Record hymn album for grandparents - Not done. Still think it would be nice to do.
5. Seriously prepare children's lesson for four straight weeks - We no longer go to the church where I taught the preschoolers so I guess this one is moot.

FUN
1. Get a Wii
2. Go to Cardinals game at new stadium
3. Go to a hockey game - Not going to get a chance to do that in the next nine days!
4. Watch all our wedding videos
5. Watch all seasons of The X-Files
6. Go horseback riding - Did it! In New Zealand!
7. Go whitewater rafting again
8. Buy and wear a fun message t-shirt before it's too late - Heather pointed out that I did make (and wear) my own Twilight shirt. Although I think her exact words were "stupid Twilight shirt."
9. Get an adorable winter coat - No adorable coats for me. :(
10. Go to a local high school football game - Maybe this fall!
11. Watch every episode of Arrested Development
12. Have Christmas Cookie party be an annual tradition

So there you have it. If I count right, I'm officially marking 57 of my 101 things as done. Some others aren't done but I've changed my mind or circumstances and I don't want or need to do them anymore. Others I still desperately need or want to do.

The good news is that while my 1001 days are essentially up, I'm not terribly sad that I didn't officially complete all my tasks. After all, I did a lot of things that weren't on the list, too. Some were stupid time-wasters and I should've been doing things off this list instead. But a lot of the things were special and important and infinitely more memorable or precious than anything I could've pre-planned with a list.

1001 days passed. And I lived. I cried and I laughed and I made friends and I lost things and I grew and I failed and I loved, hopefully more than anything else, I loved.

Here's to the next 1001 days, whatever they bring.

THE END.

1 comment:

Heather said...

yay! Great post! The best part of these lists is in the making, not the doing, in my opinion.
Maybe if you do another one of these sometime, I'll join you for the first 100 days or so... :)