Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Voted!


Today I voted! I even got a cute little sticker to prove it. It was much easier than I thought and I only had to wait for about three minutes before it was my turn. This whole early voting thing is great - why don't they do it everywhere, I wonder?

Anyway, I'm posting this here and not on my other blog because it was one of the things on my list, to research and vote in the 2008 presidential election. It was difficult for me. I have a hard time with conflict so watching coverage of the election and debates was scary. I wanted to stick my head under a pillow until it was all over - or until everyone decided to be nice and get along. I wasn't blown away by either candidate, honestly. My philosophy of voting was to think about the two or three things that are most important to me and then decide who I thought would be best able to lead in those areas. Working together with both parties as well as experience in certain areas were probably the two main things on my mind as I made my decision.

It was kinda cool, in a way. As I pushed the green "Vote" button I have to admit I got a little choked up thinking about what a privilege it was. Whatever you think about the state of our country and our leaders, there is no denying the many extraordinary freedoms we have in America, like helping to choose our elected officials through the voting process. I'm not sure how much my individual vote "counts" honestly - I can pretty much guarantee you that Davidson County will go Democrat, and much of the rest of the state will go Republican - but I am still glad I was part of the process!

So whoever you are and wherever you live, get out there and VOTE!

No comments: